Pages

Friday, April 10, 2009

DEAD BREAD

This is a great article from Herescope on sermons for sale. If you didn't see my previous post on the two pastors preaching the identical sermon and placing themselves in the story, you need to check it out after reading this article.

-Chris

Click here for video.


The Scandal and Malnutrition of Sermons for Sale

By Pastor Jeffrey L. Whittaker


I remember sitting in a popular restaurant chain with some friends several years ago, when the waitress came to take our order. One of my friends, when asked what kind of dressing he wanted on his salad, abruptly stated to the startled server, “And I don’t want any ‘dead bread’ on my salad.” After letting the comment sink in, the sweet but stunned girl replied, “Oh, you mean croutons!” To which my friend simply nodded in confirmation.

That analogy has stuck with me all these years, and I remember it every time I order a salad that comes with “dead bread.” I actually don’t mind croutons that much, and have even purchased a bag when passing through the salad aisle at the supermarket. There are so many flavors now: herb, parmesan, bacon-ranch, etc; all so conveniently located that I just reach out and take them as I pass by while filling my cart. However, when applying my friend’s unflattering adjective to preaching, my heart is stirred over a phenomenon which has gripped America’s pulpits in recent years.

I recall opening my mail one morning some years ago and reading my first advertisement for “dead bread”:

“Pastors, are you too busy to spend hours of preparation on your sermons? Tired of feeling the stress of having to come up with original ideas week after week? If so, for just $199.95 you can have 52 weeks of quality sermons crafted by homiletical masters, complete with illustrations! Your congregation is guaranteed to be thrilled with the results or your money back!”

Could this be true? Are there people who actually do this?

Click title for complete article.


For more on this and other topics, see archives.
First time here? Please read "Don't trust a word I say!" in the archives.

No comments: