Pages

Saturday, February 7, 2009

How do you know that you believe?

We interrupt this series on false prophets to bring you the following "Sermon Jam" from Paul Washer..... (When a particularly good sermon is condensed and put to a musical background for emphasis, it is known as a Sermon Jam) . If you haven't heard the full sermons, please do so. It changed my life. Follow this link (also check out more of Paul Washers sermons) listen to "Examine yourself" on the Heartcry sermons on the upper right hand side of the blog.




***Warning*** This sermon will make you think, and you will want to read and re-read 1st John on what it means to be soundly saved.

Like most of us, I used to think that because I went down the aisle at 13 and was baptized meant I was saved. This is what we were taught. The problem was that after only a few short years, I decided to live for a false trinity (me, myself and I) for over a decade. I will spare you the gory details, but it wasn't pretty. I thought I could live the way I wanted, because I had my little "insurance card" to prove it. I wrote it in my Bible.... July 5th, 1981. See? "I asked Jesus in my heart." You know.... once saved always saved. Right? No really...I said the prayer (check), ....I believed in Jesus (check),....and I was baptized (check). Good to go....right? Much of today's preaching would have you think so. The fact is, once saved always saved is biblical, but it also teaches that their is such thing as a false conversion. A "said faith" not a genuine saving faith.

When God was working on me a little later in life, I read where Jesus says "depart from me, I never knew you" in Matthew 7:23, it kept me up at night. Here it is in context:

Mat 7:21 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
Mat 7:22 On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?'
Mat 7:23 And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.'
Mat 7:24 "Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock.
Mat 7:25 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock.
Mat 7:26 And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand.
Mat 7:27 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it."

Friends, I share these things with you to say that a lot (not all) of the stuff that is considered "Christian" that is being sold at Christian book stores is from foolish men who built their house on sand. They will tell you that doctrine is not important. I promise you, if you don't have a proper understanding of the doctrine of Jesus, then you can be lead to believe in another Jesus. Jesus Himself said there will be many false christ's. Mark 13:6 "For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many". One of those deceptions is "Easy believisim" which leads people to believe they are saved when indeed they are not. Folks, becoming a Christian is not like registering to vote or joining the 4-H club. Scenario: Are you a Christian? "Yeah, I did that once....." It's not an accessory or a side item. Mr. Washer explains it much better than I.

This sermon woke me up to this and has had me on a several year journey of studying God's word on this subject and I encourage everyone to check this out for yourselves. Read 1st John slowly, take notes and examine yourself to see if you're in the faith. Our pastor is doing an awesome series on just this and has been knocking it out of the ball park. Thanks Dr. Price!

In the mean time, I will continue posting on the "big name" false prophets as well as showing you some really weird stuff going on in our "churches", and most importantly posting about sound biblical salvation and how to witness properly so that we don't produce a false convert. See Hell's best kept secret for more.
-Chris


For more information on this and other topics, see archives. Also please see the previous post on repentance from a few days ago. -Chris

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris, great posts man. i was thinking of a book as i was looking over the blog. have you ever read the book "Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God" by J.I. Packer? this book is good and i would love to hear what you have to say about the book. -bert s.-

vincent said...

Great site Brother, as I travel I see men being used and desiring God and they are all are inspired by the same preachers.I has changed my life as well.

vincent@piater.co.za
www.jcryministries.com